Sights in Veszprém

Benedict Hill Cross

Ancient cobblestones echo the footsteps of royal figures and legends surround us wherever we go. According to our ancestors, Veszprém was built on seven hills, archaeological finds also prove that this area was inhabited thousands of years ago.

More

 

Csatár-Hill

The sights of the 150 meter high Csatár-Hill are the chapel of Csatár-hill and the wonderful look-out tower and resting-place.

More

 

Dubniczay Palace

The special Brick Collection is situated in the Dubniczay Palace.

More

 

Eötvös Károly County Library

Our institution is the biggest public library in Veszprém County. It was named after Eötvös Károly writer and politician in 1968 when the institution moved into its current building.

More

 

Archbishop’s Palace

The Archbishop's Palace is one of the gems of Szentháromság tér.

More

 

Franciscan Church

Next to this house you can see the single-naved Rococo Franciscan Church built in 1730.

More

 

Gisella viewpoint

From the viewpoint of Queen Gizella there is a magnificent view of the Benedek Mountain, the Castle, St. Stephen's Valley Bridge, the second highest peak of the Bakony Mountains, the Papod Mountain and the Lookout Mountain.

More

 

Gisella Chapel

This episcopal or royal private chapel was built by Bishop Robertus. The walls are covered with Byzantie frescoes of the apostles painted in the 13th century which are among the oldest paintings in Hungary.

More

Hangvilla Multifunctional Community Centre

The pedestrian street was rebuilt together with the entire city centre. Not far from here, various events and conferences are held in the newly finished Hangvilla, on the site of the former Séd Cinema.

More

 

Heroes’ Gate

On the Heroes’ Gate, opened in 1939 and renovated in 2013, visitors learn about the history of the building and heroes end events of Veszprém during the revolution and freedom fight, World Wars I and II, and revolution and freedom fight of 1956.

More

 

The statues of Stephen I. and Gisella

At the end of the Castle Street on the look-out turret you can see the statue composition of the Hugarian royal couple with the statues of Saint Stephen and Gisella which became the symbol of Veszprém.

More

Jutas gallant viewpoint

Veszprém City boasts another spectacle. On 1 October VERGA Veszprém Forestry Zrt. Inaugurated in Veszprém a special lookout called Jutas Vitéz.

More

Kabóca Puppet Theatre

In our welcoming and family friendly city the little ones are not left out of the theatrical programmes as the Kabóca Puppet Theatre is open for them all year round.

More

 

Cloisters and gardens at the foot of the Castle

This way connects the Castle of Veszprém and the Zoo. There are two cloisters here from the age of the Árpád House.Due to the setting up of the walking way the two monuments can be visited again and were renovated.

More

 

The new face of our town Centre

Stroll down Kossuth Street, a mall located in the heart of Veszprém. This street was rebuilt together with the entire town centre. Along this peaceful street, stores with new, matching appearance await customers.

More

 

Dezső Laczkó Museum

The two-storey Dezső Laczkó Museum, decorated with red sandstone, is in the shadow of huge trees at the edge of Erzsébet Park.

More

 

County Hall

After walking through Kossuth utca, turn right and then immediately left and you can catch sight of the Neo-renaissance building of the Veszprém County Hall.

More

 

Modern Art Gallery – Vass László Collection

Similarly to the rain slowly falling down the rocks and filling the holes with glittering water, the small nooks of Várhegy (Castle Hill) are filled up with museums.

More

 

House of Arts

The House of Arts is the home of culture. The main building and the galleries can be found in the Veszprém Castle.

More

Pannon Theatre

Pannon Theatre is the first and to nowadays is the one regional theatre in the country. Its centre is Veszprém. The founder of the theatre and its artistic director is László Vándorfi, as well.

More

 

Walk in the Castle

Ancient cobblestones echo the footsteps of royal figures and legends surround us wherever we go. According to our ancestors, Veszprém was built on seven hills, archaeological finds also prove that this area was inhabited thousands of years ago.

More

 

Salesianum – Archbishopric’s Touristic Centre

The Salesianum Archiepiscopal Tourist Centre awaits you in the Veszprém Castle.

More

 

Saint Stephan Viaduct

The viaduct, which can be found in the Fejes Valley, is one of Veszprém’s well-known symbols. It overspans the waggly Séd stream in the height of 50 m. This bridge is one of Hungary’s highest and most beautiful bridges.

More

 

Saint Michael’s Cathedral

The determining building of the Trinity square is the St Michael’s Cathedral.

More

 

Holy Trinity Statue

The Holy Trinity Statue erected in 1750 on the order of Márton Padányi Bíró is in the centre of the square.

More

 

Tegularium

The most complete collection of engraved bricks from the history of Hungary, situated in the southern wing and the cellar of the Dubniczay Palace, refurbished in 2006.

More

 

Fire Lookout Tower

Walking on from here we catch sight of the Fire Tower, one of the symbols of the town.

More

 

Dungeon

A dungeon existed in the castle of Veszprém around 1600’s, which had only one cell back then. According to the first records the dungeon in Veszprém existed around 1600’s, but had only one cell.

More

 

City Hall

The imposing building at the foot of the Castle in Óváros tér is the administrative centre of the town: the City Hall.

More

 

Veszprém Arena

The Veszprem Arena is one of the most modern sports and events venues in Hungary, only 10 minutes by car from Lake Balaton, in the beautiful historic city of Veszprém, seating up to 5500 people.

More

Veszprém Zoo

The zoo named after the reputed Africa explorer, Kálmán Kittenberger was established in 1958 in a picturesque environment.

More

 

Petőfi Theatre of Veszprém

The Petőfi Theater of Veszprém is the significant, nationwide famous cultural centrum of Veszprém county and the Balaton region.

More